Tuesday, November 30, 2010

BSF trooper found dead inside train

From webindia123
Lucknow |Tuesday, 2010 2:05:10 PM IST
A Border Security Force (BSF) trooper posted in Jammu and Kashmir was found dead under mysterious circumstances inside a train in Uttar Pradesh, police said Tuesday.
The body of Mukesh Kumar, aged around 40, was found Monday evening inside the Jammu Tawi Express in Sultanpur district. He was on his way to his native state of Bihar, police said.
Even as the exact reason behind the death is yet to be ascertained, some injury marks have been found around Kumar's nose.
"Some passengers first spotted Kumar lying dead on the upper berth of a general bogey of the train," Government Railway Police (GRP) inspector G.P. Singh told reporters Tuesday in Sultanpur, some 150 km from Lucknow.
"We have already sent the body for post-mortem. The report is expected to come later in the day," he added.
According to police, Kumar was going to his native Vaishali district in Bihar by train.
--Indo-Asian News Service

Tired BSF can now catch some sleep

From The Hindustan Times
New Delhi, November 29, 2010
India’s jawans guarding the borders can finally catch some sleep. The Border Security Force (BSF) has asked all units to give the men and women deployed along the borders six hours sleep every 24 hours, and a day off every week. So far, BSF personnel could not sleep for more than two hours at a stretch.
“They would take their bedding along when they stepped out of their outpost to their respective locations… and take turns sleeping,” said BSF’s additional director general (Human Resources) Arvind Ranjan.
For a perennially short of personnel force to keep an eye on more than 6,600 km of Indian borders, there seemed to be no other way.
“The jawan will either collapse… or sleep on duty,” BSF director general Raman Srivastava — who rewrote the rules of deployment for the force — conceded.
“This had become a tired force… the men were working with very little rest… nobody can sleep in shifts for too long and perform,” Srivastava said, counting the new personnel policies to give the jawans time off as his “most important personal achievement”.
Srivastava also introduced the concept of a weekly off. “In the paramilitary forces, there was no concept of a holiday…You were always on duty, literally,” the BSF commandant said.
On their holidays, Srivastava said the jawans would still not be able to leave their border outpost. “But they will be free to do anything they want… sleep, watch TV or read,” he said.
Srivastava said there were some locations where jawans won’t get these benefits. “But this is a small number and will be taken care of with new recruitments.”

Monday, November 29, 2010

US Condemns Wikileaks Release

From Army-Technologies.Com
29 November 2010 
The US has condemned the release of more than 250,000 secret dispatches revealing military strategies and diplomatic communications on the controversial Wikileaks website.
Among the leaks, revealed in a number of US diplomatic messages obtained by the site, are statements from Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah urging the US to bomb Iran's nuclear facilities and US officials labelling Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi as "feckless, vain and ineffective".
The leaked documents also contained US and UK concerns that Pakistani nuclear material could fall into the hands of militants, enabling them to construct nuclear weapons.
While the White House labelled the release as "reckless", Wikileaks founder Julian Assange said US authorities were afraid of being held to account.
The UK and Australian Foreign Offices joined the US condemnation of the leaks, labelling them as potentially dangerous to national security, while Italian foreign minister Franco Frattini labelled the release as the "September 11 of world diplomacy". Australian police are currently investigating whether any laws were broken in the release.
House of Representatives Homeland Security Committee member Peter King said: "The latest release manifests Mr Assange's purposeful intent to damage not only our national interests in fighting the war on terror, but also undermines the very safety of coalition forces in Iraq and Afghanistan."
Other leaks include Iranian attempts to acquire North Korean rockets, Germany being warned not to enforce arrest warrants for CIA officers, alleged links between the Russian government and organised crime, and US officials being instructed to spy on Hillary Clinton's UN leadership.

BSF seeks powers of search, seizure and arrest

From Yahoo News
Mon, Nov 29 07:17 PM
New Delhi, Nov 29 (PTI) Facing problems in identifying and arresting suspects in their anti-naxal operations, the BSF has written to the Home Ministry asking for powers of search, seizure and arrest as exercised by forces like the CRPF. The Border Security Force (BSF) has deployed almost 10,000 troops for anti-naxal duties in Chhattisgarh and Orissa but according to sources, the force is not empowered under the law to search, seize or arrest a suspect. "We have written to the Home Ministry to insert these relevant sections in the BSF Act so that the force can perform its duties without any glitches.
The CRPF enjoys such powers in the naxal affected zones and when deployed for internal security duties in the country," BSF sources said. Everytime the force is undertaking an operation, it cannot go for search or arrest of a suspect.
The state police has to be called in. This is not possible always and hence an amendment in the BSF Act on the lines of CRPF and SSB Acts is needed, they said.
The BSF also operates the fleet of helicopters deployed to assist ground forces undertaking anti-naxal operations.

BSF wants filling of vacancies in its air wing

From Yahoo News

Mon, Nov 29 05:50 PM

New Delhi, Nov 29 (PTI) Facing "teething problems" in its Air wing, the BSF has approached the Union Home Ministry to fill up vacant posts in the flying branch of the elite unit deployed in Naxal-affected areas of the country. The BSF, under which the Air wing of the Home Ministry operates, will also acquire four new Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH) Dhruvs soon for troop deployment, casualty evacuation and sending reinforcements to assist anti-Naxal opeartions.
"That (filing of vacant posts) is a difficulty which we have projected to the Home Ministry. There are some difficulties with various kinds of posts.
support posts including maintenance and operations.
Pilots, of course.
We are training our own Central Paramilitary Forces (CPMFs) pilots," BSF chief Raman Srivastava told reporters when he was asked about the vacant posts in the air wing during the forces'' annual press conference here. "There are certain gaps we are filing up.
There are a number of teething problems in the air wing (of the Border Security Force)," he said. The BSF helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft are largely operated by IAF pilots and pilots who join the wing after retirement from active professional flying service.
The BSF Director General also said there were "certain operational constraints" in the full-time serviceability of the helicopters'' fleet deployed for anti-Naxal duties as the new ''Dhruvs'' need to be "serviced frequently." "There is no dispute or problem in the operation of the helicopters fleet for anti-Naxal duties.
But there are certain operational constraints.
because these are new helicopters and they need to be serviced frequently.
They are not always available, round-the-clock.
they are not like cars," Srivastava said. In order to aid the ground forces with ''air support'' in anti-Naxal duties, the BSF has also operationalised airbases at Ranchi and Raipur and ten pilots of the CPMFs are undergoing helicopter flying training at the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited for eighteen months, he said.
The BSF chief said the government is also in the process of purchasing two more aircraft as the existing fleet is ageing. "The BSF has three AVROs.
they need to be replaced. One is almost gone, the other two are breathing their last.
We are in the process of purchasing two more aircraft," he said. The BSF DG said new helicopters, as and when arrive, will be deployed in a streamlined fashion and new helibases could also be built for them.

Nehchal Sandhu Appointed OSD, Intelligence Bureau

Press Information Bureau 
Government of India
Ministry of Home Affairs 

29-November-2010 15:06 IST
Shri Nehchal Sandhu, IPS(BH-73), currently Special Director, Intelligence Bureau has been appointed as Officer on Special Duty in the Intelligence Bureau with effect from 1-12-2010.

He will take over as Director, Intelligence Bureau for a period of two years with effect from 01.01.2011. He will succeed Shri Rajiv Mathur, IPS (UP-72)

*****

OK/KKA

BSF jawan killed

From The Times Of India
Nov 29, 2010
A BSF jawan Ram Baran was run over and killed by a private SUMO on National Highway No 31 near bus terminal at Kishanganj on Monday noon.

BSF officer apologises

From The Times Of India
Nov 29, 2010
A Border Security Force (BSF) deputy commandant Sanjay Kumar posted at Attari land border had to apologies to the agitating truck drivers after he allegedly thrashed one truck driver Gurmeet Singh who was on way to Pakistan to off load a truckload of tomatoes.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bsf-apologise/speednewsbytopic/keyid-486870.cms

Gwalior's Kargilgate: BSF Martyr's family denied home

From IBN Live

Hemender Sharma CNN-IBN 

Posted on Nov 28, 2010
Gwalior: The families of Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers who served the nation and some, who died in the call of duty, have been fighting to recover the land allotted to them for 24 long years. Here's a special report.



Darshna Devi was widowed in 1998. Her husband Chhatar Singh, who was with the BSF, was killed in action in Kashmir. After her husband's death, Darshna Devi applied for a house in the Border Security Force Cooperative Housing Society in Gwalior's Maharajpur area. But she never got it.
"The land was given to civilians," said Darshna Devi
Gwalior's Kargilgate: Martyr's family denied home
In 1986, then Madhya Pradesh chief minister Motilal Vora allotted 16 acres of prime land to the Society, where 465 houses were built. Applicants alleged more than half were allotted to civilians. An RTI was filed by several ex-servicemen a year ago asking for allotment details, but were denied information.
"The society changed the bylaws as per their convenience and allotted land for house construction to civilians while widows of BSF personnel are still homeless, "said retired commandant of BSF BN Gupta.
The Bharatiya Janta Party government now in the state has promised swift redressal.
"We have taken action against all those who have indulged in fraudulent means in cooperative housing societies. We will take action in this as well," said Cooperative Minister, Madhya Pradesh P Gauri Shanker Bisen
The publicity generated by Mumbai's Adarsh building society scam has given fresh hope to people like Darshana Devi that she'll finally have a home one day.

Maoists destroy village council building in Latehar




From Newstrack India
Latehar (Jharkhand), Nov.28 (ANI): Suspected Maoists destroyed a village 
council building in Jharkhand's Latehar District. 
Two blasts took place between 11 and 12 p.m. on Saturday. No causalities were reported in the incident.
The Maoists have objected to ongoing elections in the district due to which voters expressed fear after the incident.
Continuous blasts were going on around 11 p.m. We were in the CRPF camp when we heard the noise of the blasts. We were in the room and the noise was very loud," said Amulya Dubey, a voter.
The authorities have deployed police, the Border Security Force (BSF) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in the area to prevent untoward incidents.
According to BSF security personnel the support of the residents throughout the elections has been commendable.
"In this state, we are having support of residents, the police and the CRPF. Because of their support, this polling has been done peacefully," said Vikramaditya, a BSF Personnel.
A 70 percent voter turnout has been recorded.
The Election Commission has restricted polling hours in Maoist-hit areas till three in the afternoon. By Girija Shankar Ojha (ANI)

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Martyr of Mumbai terror attack And Kargil War And BSF???

Press Information Bureau Release
Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas
26-November, 2010 18:47 IST

CNG Filling Station handed over to the family of Martyr of Mumbai terror attack

The Union Petroleum & Natural Gas Minister Shri Murli Deora handed over today the ownership of a CNG Filling Station at Magathane in Borivali, Mumbai to the family of Shri Tukaram Ombale, who laid down his life while fighting 26/11 terrorists at Marine Drive. In his address Shri Deora said that three CNG filling stations and eight petrol pumps have already been handed over to the family of martyrs while six cases were under various stages of allotment. He said the discussions with the Maharashtra government were on in regards to allotment of Petrol pumps and CNG filling stations to the remaining 6 families of martyrs. The Union Minister said that under various schemes, the Petroleum & Natural Gas Ministry had earlier allotted 446 outlets to martyrs in Kargil war and 9 outlets to martyrs during the Parliament Attack.

AKT****


(Release ID :67688)
http://pib.nic.in/newsite/erelease.aspx

One eye on the Kutch coast

From Mid-day
By: J Dey and pics/Pradeep Dhivar Date:  2010-11-28


Suspicion and silence mark the coastal districts of Kutch bordering Pakistan, which Sunday MiD DAY visited on the second anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks 

Mumbai's 26/11 terror attacks changed the atmosphere along India's coasts, especially where Gujarat bordered Pakistan. An invisible army of intelligence operatives and security along hundreds  of miles of marshy land use electronic surveillance to man the ports, some as close as 30 nautical miles from the borders of Pakistan.


BSF jawans at the Lakhpat Fort bordering Pakistan
The coastal areas of Koteshwar, Lakhpat and Jakhau near Naliya have been brought under surveillance in the aftermath of the terror attacks. The Research & Analysis Wing (RAW), the Intelligence Bureau and the Border Security Force (BSF)  have aided this development. Most hamlets have been flooded with spies who track movement of vehicles and people in the area. While the BSF forms the outer ring  of defence, intelligence operatives under cover are active in the villages bordering the salt pans and marshy estuaries. An eerie silence pervades the area during the day. After nightfall, it's devoid of any human activity, with most villagers treating visitors with suspicion. 

Armed BSF marksmen have been positioned at vantage points, and sensitive radars have been placed to pick up every signal. Hovercrafts have been deployed to keep vigil on the inaccessible marshy stretches along the Rann of Kutch. At Koteshwar and Sir Creek, BSF have positioned floating Border Out Posts or BOPs, as they are known in local parlance. The task is far from simple, with the vagaries of nature posing as much of a challenge as the anti-social elements. 

Deputy Inspector General (Kutch region) Manoj Agarwal refused to comment on security arrangements in the area but a senior BSF officer on condition of anonymity revealed that the government had sanitised surrounding villages, clearing them of arms and infiltrators. The villagers themselves form the third line of defence, each one having been briefed to look  out for suspicious persons. Some villagers have even been lured into turning informers.

Dhows (sailing vessels) and large trawlers are the biggest threat to security with vessels slipping into the porous harbour with impunity. Around the harbours of Porbandar, Jamnagar, Mundra, Tuna and Luni, security arrangements were far from satisfactory. Crew members from dhows sailing in from Pakistan and the Gulf have been known to slip in and out of the docks.
http://www.mid-day.com/news/2010/nov/281110-lakhpat-fort-kutch-pakistan-border-mumbai-terror-attacks.htm