Thursday, September 23, 2010

India holds its breath for divisive Ayodhya ruling

From AFP
LUCKNOW, India — India has ramped up security ahead of a high court ruling Friday on a bitter religious dispute responsible for some of the bloodiest sectarian violence since independence.
The decision on the future of the Ayodhya mosque site -- and even more so the reaction to it -- poses a crucial test for India and its image as an emerging global player and a beacon of stability in a volatile region.
India's home minister P. Chidambaram appealed for calm Wednesday ahead of the politically charged judgement.
"It is the government's earnest hope that all sections of society will maintain peace, order, harmony and tranquillity," he said in New Delhi.
"It would be inappropriate to reach any conclusion that one side has won or the other side has lost" following the ruling that will be extremely complex and is bound to be appealed to the Supreme Court, he added.
In 1992 the demolition of the 16th-century Babri Mosque in Ayodhya by Hindu activists sparked riots that killed more than 2,000 people, mostly Muslims, and propelled India's Hindu nationalists into the political mainstream.
Hindus say the mosque had been built by the Moghul emperor Babur on the site of a temple marking the birthplace of the Hindu warrior god Ram in the northern state of Uttar Pradesh.
Ever since the destruction of the mosque 18 years ago the 47-acre (19-hectare) site has been cordoned off with barbed wire and steel fencing and guarded by troops.
Now a three-judge bench in the state capital Lucknow will rule on ownership of the site between Hindu and Muslim groups.
A senior Uttar Pradesh home department official told AFP in Lucknow more than 200,000 police, paramilitary and other security personnel had been deployed across the state ahead of the ruling.
"Processions of all kind have been prohibited not only in Ayodhya but also in 44 sensitive districts," added Brij Lal, additional director-general of police.
Muslims called for calm.
"We now wait for Friday's verdict but no one should celebrate victory or raise protests against the ruling," said Zafaryab Jilani, lawyer for the Babri Masjid Action Committee, which wants the site handed to Muslims, India's largest religious minority.
The government and numerous religious leaders have urged both Hindus and Muslims to accept the court ruling, no matter which way it goes.
"The way the country handles this -- the aftermath -- will have a profound impact on the evolution of our country," Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said earlier in the month.
The radical Vishwa Hindu Parishad or VHP insisted that the government would have to give the site to the Hindus.
"The Indian government must hand over the (Ayodhya) site to Hindus through an act of parliament because it is linked to faith or else this dispute will never end," the VHP's national spokesman Prakash Sharma told AFP.
The drive to build a Ram temple on the ruins of the razed mosque remains a key political aim of the Hindu nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), which is the main opposition party in parliament.
India's chief Muslim cleric, Syed Ahmed Bukhari, echoed the calls for calm, but also criticised hardline Hindu groups for shunning efforts to find an out-of-court settlement.
"One can only strike a compromise with those who want to resolve the dispute through sincere talks," Bukhari told AFP.
Mahant Gyan Das, a senior member of the Hindu trust seeking to build a Ram temple on the site, insisted that any violence resulting from the ruling would not come from the people of Ayodhya.
The government has taken out newspaper ads warning against any knee-jerk reactions that might inflame communal tensions.
"There should be no attempt whatsoever made by any section of the people to provoke any other section," the published appeal said.
India has avoided any major outbreak of Hindu-Muslim violence since riots in Gujarat in 2002.

Main suspect in Kharar vehicle registration scam arrested

From Express News
Thu Sep 23 2010
The main suspect in the fake vehicle registration scam unearthed in Kharar was arrested on Wednesday. Navpreet Singh alias Johny was a typist at the tehsil complex here and had been on the run since the scam surfaced on September 18, the police said this evening.
City Additional SHO Purshotam Singh told Newsline that the suspect was arrested during a raid at one of his suspected hideouts and will be produced before a local court tomorrow to procure his police remand. “We are interrogating him to ascertain the modus operandi, how many other fake vehicle registration numbers were issued, and who else was involved in the scam,” he disclosed.
The scam was unearthed when two cars were recently spotted with the same registration number (PB-27-C-0213) by a retired BSF official here. Taking cognisance of the complaint lodged by former BSF Inspector Surinder Singh of Kharar, the local police booked Johny under Sections 420 (cheating), 468 and 471 (forgery & preparation of forged documents) of the IPC.

Linkman for Manipuri underground groups held

From IBN Live

PTI | 06:09 PM,Sep 22,2010

Shillong, Sept 22 (PTI) A linkman, working for Manipuri underground groups, was today apprehended by the BSF along the Bangladesh border.Rony Debnath (19) was entering India from Bangladesh near Dawki when he was caught by the troops, BSF sources said.Indian currency worth Rs 2035, Bangladeshi Taka 4215, a mobile phone and a SIM card was seized from him, they said.Besides, the troops in Dhubri district of Assam and hilly area of Meghalaya seized 112 cattle, one country-made boat and other contraband items worth Rs 21 lakh while they were being smuggled out to Bangladesh.

BSF WORK ON BANGLA BORDER

From The Times Of India

As part of his civic action programme to uplift the people living along Indo-Bangladesh border, the BSF has set up a computer training centre at Dumnikora Village in South Garo Hills of Meghalaya. BSF said the centre with three computers along with complete accessories has been handed over to Dumnikora Youth Club in order to amalgamate deprived border population with the main stream of the society.

Terror, insurgency focus of BSF-BDR talks in Dhaka

From Zeenews
September 22, 2010
New Delhi: Terror cooperation, insurgency in the North-east, cross-border infiltration and smuggling of fake Indian currency notes will be high on agenda during the week-long meeting of border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh in Dhaka.


The 20-member Indian delegation headed by BSF Chief Raman Srivastava today left for Dhaka for the meeting which will also discuss with Bangladesh Rifles chief Major General Rafiq ul-Islam issues relating to fencing and border management.

Srivastava is likely to hand over to his counterpart a list of certain Indian insurgents who are believed to be hiding in Bangladesh. 

Suspected movement on Indo-Pak border puts BSF on alert

From Punjab Newsline

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

AMRITSAR: Indian Border Security Force (BSF) is in full alert since last night due to its failure to nab three suspected persons who were roaming on Indo-Pak border freely at Channa sector at village Ajnala.Anxiety of BSF was but natural, since BSF troop equipped with sophisticated weapons remained unsuccessful to nab three suspected who escaped under the cover of darkness during midnight at 1.30 a.m, on being challenged by BSF.
 
BSF IG Himmat Singh said that when BSF challenged the three suspected persons at Indo-Pak border they ran away towards the villages on Indian side and vanished under the cover of darkness. Suspected were chased for long time, all surrounding villages were searched out but no result.
 
Singh said that after the midnight incident, comprehensive search operation was carried  out which remained continue today evening whereupon few notes of Pakistan and Indian currency, three mobiles of Nokia made, bottle of one liter Pepsi containing liquor was found.
 
Singh said that yet it would be established that Sim cards inside the three Nokia mobiles were Indian or Pakistani.
 
BSF has already reported the matter to Punjab police to further investigate the incident and to trace out the three suspected people, who escaped under the cover of darkness, said Singh

BSF protests against Pak Rangers' firing

From Bhaskar News
(23/09/10)

Jodhpur: The Border Security Force (BSF) has lodged a strong protest against recent firing by Pakistan Rangers from across the border.
During the quarterly meeting between the BSF and Pak Rangers held on the other side of Munabao, the Pakistani security force was asked to carry out effective measures to stop infiltration in the region. The Pakistani force was also urged to check the illegal entry of fishers into India in Sir Creek.
Various issues like joint patrolling , carrying out anti-enchroachment drive along the boder and other were discussed between both the sides during the important meeting.
Tabling evidence of illegal construction near the border during the meeting, the BSF  registered a strong protest against the construction of bunkers and observation towers by the Rangers.
However, the Pakistani side refused to admit to any of those allegations, and said it is has taken various measures to stop infiltration.
BSF DIG (Rajasthan headquarter) R C Dhyani and DIG (Jaisalmer) Dr. B R Mewal were also present in the meeting.

BSF troops fire after suspicious movements along border

From India Report
Ajnala (Punjab), Sep 22 
BSF personnel yesterday opened fire at three identified persons after noticing some suspicious movements along the Indo-Pakistan border near here.
BSF IG Himmat Singh said a patrol party noticed some persons moving suspiciously during midnight along the border at Ajnala village in Channa sector prompting them to fire.
The three, however, escaped towards the villages on Indian side taking advantage of the darkness, he said, adding few Pakistan and Indian currency, three mobiles and liquor was found during searches.
A search operation has been launched in the area but no one has been arrested so far, Singh said.
BSF has already reported the matter to Punjab police to further investigate the incident and to trace out the trio.
Source: PTI

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

HM’s Statement on Ayodhya

Press Information Bureau 
Government of India
Ministry of Home Affairs 

22-September-2010 17:54 IST

HM’s Statement on Ayodhya
The Union Home Minister, Shri P. Chidambaram made a statement on Ayodhya issue here today. Following is the text of his statement:

“The judgment of the Special Bench of the High Court of Allahabad in the four title suits is scheduled to be delivered on Friday, September 24, 2010.

I am issuing this statement in order to place before the parties to the suits as well as the general public the circumstances and the context in which the judgment must be received and understood.

There are four title suits. There are a number of ‘Issues’ in each suit. It is pertinent to note that Issues were framed by the Trial Court, recast by the High Court, additional Issues were framed by the High Court and, in one case, Issues were recast after certain orders of the Supreme Court. The Issues involve complicated questions of fact and law. Among the questions of fact that are being canvassed are questions relating to possession, dispossession, worship etc. Among the questions of law that are being canvassed are questions relating to maintainability of the suits, adverse possession, prescription, estoppel, limitation, res judicata, the interpretation of UP Muslim Wakfs Act, 1936 etc.

It is possible that there will be one or more judgments delivered by the three-judge Special Bench. The judgments would have to be read carefully, and the findings of the Hon’ble judges on each of the Issues in the four suits would have to be analysed meticulously, before any conclusions may be drawn. The point that I wish to make is that it would be inappropriate to reach any hasty conclusion that one side has ‘won’ or that the other side has ‘lost’. Besides, it would be reasonable to assume that one or both sides would immediately apply to the Special Bench of the High Court for leave to appeal to the Supreme Court on the Issues that either side may think have been decided against it. In fact, Article 134A of the Constitution of India allows a party aggrieved to make an oral application in this regard immediately after the passing of the judgment.

I would, therefore, appeal to all the parties to the suits as well as the general public and the media to reserve their opinions on the judgment or judgments of the Special Bench and not make any hasty pronouncements. While the parties to the suits study the judgment or judgments and ponder over the next steps, I would appeal to the general public to receive the verdict of the Court as the culmination of the legal process that deserves our respect and acceptance.

The Government is pleased to note that many organisations, including organisations connected with the parties to the suits, have appealed to the people to maintain peace and calm in the wake of the judgment. Apart from making an appeal for peace, it is the duty of all organisations concerned to actively work to maintain the peace. In particular, all organisations must urge their members not to spread rumours or make provocative statements. It is important that the State Governments and the District Administrations should immediately activate the peace committees consisting of the residents of a ward or panchayat or mohalla and urge such committees to maintain the utmost vigil and defuse any situation when there is the first sign of trouble. It is the Government’s earnest hope that all sections of the people will cooperate with the Government in maintaining peace, order, harmony and tranquillity.

The State Governments have been advised to take adequate measures to maintain law and order, especially in sensitive areas. The Central Government has also taken a number of measures to assist the State Governments. No one needs to have any apprehension, and if every one realises his/her obligations to society, we can, working together, ensure that there is peace, order and harmony”.

*****

RS/KKA

Security stepped up along Indo-Nepal border ahead of Ayodhya verdict

From New Kerala.com

Gorakhpur, Sep 22 : Security has been tightened along the Indo-Nepal border in Gorakhpur to prevent the entry of anti-social elements ahead of the long-awaited verdict on the Ayodhya title case by the Allahabad High Court on September 24.A high alert has also been sounded on 305-kilometre stretch and personnel of the Border Security Force (BSF) were checking thoroughly to prevent the entry of illegal weapons or suspected persons into Indian territory.

"Four battalions have been deployed on the border. They are in a high alert. Seventy-two border posts are on a high alert. Everywhere, whether it is main road or side road, checking is being conducted," said O. P. Sahu, a public relation officer.

Earlier, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mayawati had asked law enforcement agencies to step up security in Ayodhya and adopt zero tolerance approach towards anyone trying to breach peace and communal harmony during and after the court verdict.

A heavy deployment of security personnel has been made at the disputed site to ensure the safety of the sanctum sanctorum.

The administration has divided Ayodhya and Faizabad into 17 security zones and 45 sub-sectors, posting 60 magistrates.

Last Friday, the Special Bench of the Allahabad High Court had rejected a plea for deferment of the verdict and imposed a heavy fine on applicant Ramesh Chandra Tripathi.

The court had earlier reserved its judgment on July 26 in connection with the 60-year-old title suit.

On July 27, the court took the initiative for an amicable solution to the dispute when it called on counsel for the contending parties to go into the possibility. But no headway was made.

The demolition of the 16th century mosque triggered widespread communal riots across the country in 1992-93.
--ANI

Ex-BSF officer exposes Fake vehicle registration scam in Kharar


From Express News ServiceWed Sep 22 2010,Kharar:
A fake vehicle registration scam has surfaced in Kharar. The scam was unearthed when two cars were spotted with the same registration number by a retired BSF official here recently.
Taking cognizance of the complaint lodged by former BSF inspector Surinder Singh of Kharar, the local police have booked a typist Navpreet Singh alias Johny, who is one the run. Involvement of any government official, however, could not be ascertained, City SHO Sub-Inspector Tarlochan Singh told Newsline on Tuesday.
In his complaint the former BSF officer said on September 18 while he was driving his Maruti Alto car, a man driving a Honda City car, Gulzar Singh, stopped him near Daonmajra village and pointed out that their cars had the same registration number \\PB-27-C-0213.
During the course of investigation, the local police found that the number issued to Surinder was fake while that of Gulzar was genuine as per the official records at the Registration Officer’s officer here.

BSF to step up patrolling along Orissa''s ''red zone''

From IBN Live
PTI | 05:09 PM,Sep 21,2010


Bhubaneswar, Sep 20 (PTI) Jolted by killing of four people in three days in Maoist-hit Koraput district, Orissa government today decided to expedite patrolling by BSF."BSF jawans will be asked to step up patrolling in areas close to their camps in Koraput," Orissa Home Secretary U N Behera told reporters in reply to a question on the role of the CPMF in the southern districts.While three battalions of BSF jawans were deployed in Malkangiri, two other battalions had been put into service in Koraput.Stating that steps were being taken in accordance with the decision of the unified command formed to guide anti-Maoist operation, the home secretary said Orissa was expecting a helicopter soon to track movement of rebels in dense jungles of southern districts.Though five BSF battalions (about 2700 personnel) were camping in Koraput and another southern Maoist-affected district Malkangiri for about six months, the central para military force (CPMF) was yet to take on the rebels who had unleashed a reign of terror in the districts killing people branded as police informers.CRPF personnel were also engaged in anti-Maoist operations with the state closely monitoring the Maoist activities in certain pockets.