Monday, September 27, 2010

Missing cops abducted by Maoists?

From The Pioneer
Monday, September 27, 2010
Raipur - Maoist rebels, who claimed to have abducted four
Chhattisgarh policemen, late on Sunday said the State Government had
48 hours to fulfil four demands and that the cops would be killed
after the deadline expired. Seven cops had been missing since
September 19 and the bodies of three of them were discovered two days
later with Maoist literature. Till Sunday, there was suspense
regarding the fate of the remaining four cops.
Meanwhile, three Maoists and two CRPF men were killed in two separate
encounters. 
Two Naxals and a CRPF jawan were killed in Monoharpur block of
Saranda, West Singhbhum, while a Maoist and a CRPF jawan died in
another encounter near Rourkela. The body of a Maoist was recovered
in Jamshedpur and the second body is suspected to have been taken
away by the rebels.
In Raipur, DIG (Naxalite intelligence) Vivekanand said, "As per the
handwritten demands, the Maoists have asked the Government to
initiate peace talks, stop Operation Green Hunt and alleged
atrocities on people and release unnamed people." The State Police
was trying to verify the details, he added.
Sources said assistant sub-inspector Sukhram Bhagat and three
constables were in Maoist captivity. The "villagers" whose release
has been demanded were Maoist cadre and were arrested on "solid
charges", they added. A couple of days after the seven cops went
missing, bodies of three policemen were recovered along with leaflets
which read that they had been killed for carrying out atrocities on
villagers. The bodies were of head constable Narendra Kausal and
constable B Tirki of the State police and SPO Irpa Krishna.
According to DGP Vishwaranjan, "The letter was found by a local
journalist in the jungle area between Cherapalli and Bhopalpattanam."
Meanwhile, a BSF helicopter was pressed into service in the operation
against the rebels in Saranda and senior CRPF officials, led by
Inspector General (Operation) DB Sharma, were supervising the
operation. The bodies of two policemen killed in Saturday's encounter
were being brought to Chaibasa.
Kolhan-range DIG Naveen Kumar Singh said the fresh attack by Naxals
took place when the police and paramilitary forces had gone to
recover the body of a district police jawan, who was killed in
Saturday's encounter at Tirulposhi. The DIG revealed that during the
search operation, the police recovered two live landmines and
destroyed more than one camp set up by the rebels. But the DIG, who
was leading the operation, claimed that while penetrating into
Tirulposhi, the forces had to face stiff resistance.
"As per our reports, the rebels triggered several landmines between
Tirulposhi and Digha since Sunday morning. Their move was to irritate
us from flushing out the rebels from Tirulposhi," said Singh.
The police had conducted a special operation at Saranda's Monoharpur
area on Saturday morning. In the operation, a huge number of forces,
belonging to CRPF's Battalion VII and Battalion No 196 participated.
The Battalion VII was deployed at Patamda and Ghatshila in East
Singhbhum district, while Battalion 196 was posted at Manoharpur.
The Kolhan DIG said that the police and para-military forces will
continue the operation and would heave a sigh of relief only after
dislodging the rebels from their area. Maoists have been holding
training camps and organising meetings-- including veterans coming
from far-flung areas -- in this zone.
http://dailypioneer.com/286017/Missing-CG-cops-abducted-by-Maoists.html

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Adieu camels, BSF will ride scooters

From Daily Bhaskar

Jaipur: The Border Security Force (BSF) jawans who have been patrolling for years on camels in the desert state would now have eagle eye at the international border near Barmer and Jaisalmer. In the near future, these personnel would have a fleet of sand scooters similar to what one finds in Israel.
The trial of these scooters has already started with the BSF jawans using them along with the ongoing patrolling through camels in order to reach the destination on time. Both the BSF officers and the jawans were elated with the new development.
NK Gurjar, deputy inspector general (DIG), BSF, Barmer, talking to DNA, on Saturday, said, "Even though we have been using jeeps and camels for years, we sometimes tend to get stuck in the desert sand. But this scooter is quite reliable and tough and will help us cope with the desert conditions."
According to sources, the BSF authorities have already given three scooters to the personnel for the test drive. Gurjar confirmed that trial of these vehicles have already begun at the Barmer sector.
About when the personnel can expect complete ride on the two-wheeler vehicles, he said, "The dates are yet to be decided as presently the trial on. Barmer and Jaisalmer would soon have these sand scooters with our BSF personnel to be seen patrolling in the desert sands."
The BSF authorities said that in the vast desert, there are some places where camels are not found to be reliable.
"Sundari region in Barmer district is one such site quite close to the international border. For this, we felt an urgent need to have them in the first place," a BSF officer added.

BSF arrests teen smugglers

From The Times of India
September 26,2010
BSF troops apprehended two teenaged Bangladeshi smugglers near the Indo-Bangla border in West Garo Hills District of Meghalaya today. The apprehended persons were identified as Muktak Khoksi (18) and Protus Khoksi (17), both hailing from Jamalpur district (Bangladesh). Meanwhile, BSF troops deployed in Dhubri District of Assam and hilly areas of Meghalaya seized 92 cattle heads, forest products and other contraband items which were being smuggled out to Bangladesh. The estimated cost of the seized items was put at Rs 27, 26,900.

Amritsar Court orders release of Pakistani schoolboy

From The Hindu
Sunday, Sep 26, 2010
Sarabjit Pandher
It accepts that Arshad's entry into India was accidental


The boy was in jail for 8 months
BSF arrested and interrogated him


CHANDIGARH: After eight months of incarceration, Nauman Arshad — the Pakistani schoolboy whose plight was first highlighted by The Hindu in April — was ordered released by the Principal Magistrate of the Juvenile Justice Board at Amritsar, S.S. Mann on Saturday.
Arshad, who was 14 years old at the time, accidentally crossed over the border line separating Pakistan and India on January 12 this year. He was arrested by the Border Security Force (BSF) and subjected to “sustained interrogation,” following which he “confessed” to being a “terrorist.”
Though the juvenile court disposed of the January 14, 2010 FIR on Friday evening, the orders were dictated only on Saturday morning.
While accepting the documents placed before it, the court passed down the release orders after issuing a warning to Arshad, who was booked under Section 3 of the Indian Passport Act (Entry into India) and the Foreigners' Act at the Gharinda police station of Amritsar district.
Appearing on behalf of the schoolboy, who was detained at the Juvenile Home in Hoshiarpur district, advocate V.P. Singh Bhatia, had pleaded that the BSF and the police could not effect any recoveries from Arshad.
The boy had claimed that he was in Pakistani territory, when some BSF personnel patrolling the border had called him to ask some questions.
After taking him into custody, the BSF handed over Arshad to the Punjab police.
The court accepted that Arshad's entry into India without valid documents was accidental.
During the hearings, two BSF officials deposed that both India and Pakistan had often returned each others citizens who crossed the border “by mistake.”
Simultaneously, necessary documents from the governments of India and Pakistan validating the antecedents of the juvenile prisoner were also placed before the court.
Mr. Bhatia told The Hindu that the matter was now with the governments of India and Pakistan.
He expressed the hope that Arshad's repatriation would be carried out at the earliest.

Truckers' stir hits trade at Petrapole

From The Times Of India
26 Sep, 2010 0510hrs IST TNN


BONGAON: Movement of goods through Jessore Road to Bangladesh via the Petrapole land port near Bongaon in North 24-Parganas was disrupted after hundreds of truck drivers went on strike on Saturday morning.

Truck drivers belonging to unions affiliated to both Citu and Intuc called the strike to protest against the terrible condition of Jessore Road. Craters have appeared on the busy road, leading to frequent breakdown of vehicles. The district administration is yet to take up repairs despite calls from all quarters.

Truckers on Saturday put up a roadblock at Petrapole near the Indo-Bangla border, demanding immediate repairs to the road. "The worst stretch is between Bongaon and Petrapole. It is full of craters, some of which are a foot deep. In long stretches, there is no asphalt," said Sukhvinder Singh, a truck driver.

Drivers also blamed the poor road conditions for traffic near Bongaon. Jessore Road is an important link for import and export of goods between Bangladesh and India. The road is also used by passengers commuting between Dhaka and Kolkata.

Over the past few weeks, movement of goods has been seriously affected as trucks have been caught in traffic snarls and suffered breakdowns along the way. "We have to wait for hours in Bongaon," said another lorry driver.

The roadblock disrupted loading and unloading of goods for several hours on the border. Police said around 300 truck drivers led by Citu and Intuc leaders put up the blockade.

Later in the day, Bongaon SDO Sanjay Mukhopadhyay, BSF officials and the local administration discussed how to solve the matter at the earliest. "BSF officials have permitted the local administration to fill up the potholes within 48 hours," Mukhopadhyay said after the meeting. 
http://m.timesofindia.com/PDATOI/articleshow/6628227.cms

Delhi no fly zone during CWG ceremonies

From Deccan Herald
New Delhi, Sep 26, DHNS:

As part of the stringent security drill, the government has announced the Delhi airspace as a no-fly zone for private aircraft from 5 pm to 10 pm on October 3 and 14 coinciding with the opening and the closing ceremonies respectively of the Commonwealth Games.

No flight other than routine commercial flights, and IAF, BSF and Aviation Research Centre (ARC) flights will be allowed to take off or land at the Delhi airport and other airports within a 300 km zone around it during that period, a government statement said. Also exempted from the restrictions are state-owned aircraft/helicopters flying the governor or chief minister within the state, subject to necessary clearance from Union Home Ministry.
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/99683/delhi-no-fly-zone-during.html

BSF-BDR flag meeting to prevent smuggling

From bdnews
Sat, Sep 25th, 2010
Sunamganj, Sept 25 (bdnews24.com)—Bangladesh and Indian border forces have held a flag meeting at Tahirpur Upazila.

A delegation, led by Bangladesh Rifles Battalion-8 and another of BSF Battalion-83 (Shilong) attended the meeting on Saturday.

The meeting agenda included intensification of patrol at both sides of the border to prevent smuggling of narcotics and other things.

Haq said that they sought BSF's assistance for resolving narcotics smuggling.
http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=174357&cid=2&aoth=1

BSF – BDR meet on, ULFA faces heat once again in Bangladesh

From Tripura Today
By Our Correspondent
Dhaka & Guwahati, 25/09/2010
Even as the BSF Director General Raman Srivastava holds high level parleys with the top BDR officials the ULFA militants are on the run in Bangladesh. A major crackdown has been launched forcing the ULFA militants on the run. The law enforcing agencies in Bangladesh are tightlipped...

Curfew continues in Mendhar border town for 10th day


From DNA
Published: Friday, Sep 24, 2010, 15:25 IST 
Place: Jammu | Agency: PTI
Curfew in violence-hit Mendhar town of Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir continued for 10th day today.
"Curfew is on in Mendhar border town. The law and order situation is better and peace is prevailing in the town," senior superintendent of police (SSP), Poonch, Man Mohan Singh said.
Curfew was yesterday relaxed for three hours in Mendhar town, which passed off peacefully last evening.
Curfew was imposed in the town after three persons were killed in police firing to quell a mob trying to set ablaze a missionary school while protesting the alleged desecration of a holy book in the US on Wednesday last.

BSF apprehends 70 cattleheads from Brahmaputra

From Assam Tribune
Correspondent
 HATSINGIMARI, Sept 25 – In a successful operation, 162 Bn BSF under its Delta Company on September 21 night caught 70 cattleheads from the river Brahmaputra. The BSF sources informed that a joint operation with BSF jawan of Shishumara, Borairalga and Hall daygonj under Delta Coy was carried out from Hazirhat upto border line in the river and a total of 70 cattleheads including 32 buffaloes, 37 bulls and one cow which were being sent to Bangladesh through the river were recovered. The present market value of the consignment is estimated at Rs 11.6 lakh. The smugglers managed to escape taking the advantage of darkness in the river.

http://www.assamtribune.com/scripts/detailsnew.asp?id=sep2610/state05

Minor arrested on border


From Indian Express
September 26,2010
The Border Security Force (BSF) personnel arrested a 13-year-old boy who was allegedly attempting to cross the India-Pakistan border late on Friday.
BSF IG AK Sinha said, “The boy is a minor and a Hindu. He stated that he has relatives in Tharad village of Banaskantha and he wanted to meet them. We have not found anything suspicious with him.”
The BSF had arrested another Pakistani infiltrator from Kutch on Thursday night. The 22-year-old youth was arrested from Wagah Border area. Both will be kept in the Joint Interrogation Centre at Bhuj for further questioning.

Assam signals Ulfa talks in two months

Sept. 25: The Assam government today said that talks with Ulfa would start in the next two months.
The announcement came a day after 15 middle-level Ulfa leaders, apparently “pushed back” with their families by Bangladesh, were handed over to Assam police by the BSF in Meghalaya.
“We are confident now that the (peace) process is moving in the right direction and formal talks with Ulfa will start within the next two months,” chief minister Tarun Gogoi said. “We are ready to offer safe passage to those who are keen on talks.”
He said efforts were on through the Centre’s interlocutor, P.C. Haldar, to start the peace initiative.
Pro-talks Ulfa leader Jiten Dutta had said yesterday that these 15 wanted peace talks and had left the outfit following differences with commander-in-chief Paresh Barua, who is against talks.
One of the 15, Ulfa publicity secretary Anu Buragohain, told journalists over the phone from an undisclosed location today that the group had fled Bangladesh because of the “situation in that country” and had not surrendered or been arrested.
Gogoi did not clarify whether the Ulfa leaders had surrendered or whether they had been handed over and arrested. “We have only come to know that some senior leaders have left their camps in Bangladesh, which is a good sign,” he said.
BSF sources said the 15 leaders and their wives and children had been picked up near Meghalaya’s border with Bangladesh on Wednesday night after they were “pushed back” by Bangladesh Rifles.
An official in Shillong, though, claimed Assam police had facilitated the rebels’ efforts to return with the help of surrendered Ulfa militants and the outfit’s pro-talks faction. He said the militants and their family members had been kept “at a safe place in and around Nalbari” in western Assam.
This group is likely to join the proposed peace process under Ulfa chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa when it starts, sources said. A senior official in New Delhi said more Ulfa leaders might cross over from Bangladesh to join the talks.
Paresh Barua had yesterday said the 15 were “trapped” by “Indian forces”. Barua is now left with just a handful of senior leaders, such as Antu Chowdang, Khanindra Medhi and Jibon Moran, who are believed to be operating from camps in Myanmar.
Rebel suicide
Ulfa suffered another embarrassment when cadre Ajit Tanti, 30, hanged himself from a tree in eastern Assam’s Sivasagar district last night, apparently after being refused a job at a tea garden. “Ajit was frustrated with the Ulfa. In the Myanmar training camps, he was treated as a slave by Ulfa leaders,” a friend said.
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100926/jsp/nation/story_12983395.jsp