Monday, September 27, 2010
Raipur - Maoist rebels, who claimed to have abducted four
Chhattisgarh policemen, late on Sunday said the State Government had
48 hours to fulfil four demands and that the cops would be killed
after the deadline expired. Seven cops had been missing since
September 19 and the bodies of three of them were discovered two days
later with Maoist literature. Till Sunday, there was suspense
regarding the fate of the remaining four cops.
Meanwhile, three Maoists and two CRPF men were killed in two separate
Saranda, West Singhbhum, while a Maoist and a CRPF jawan died in
another encounter near Rourkela. The body of a Maoist was recovered
in Jamshedpur and the second body is suspected to have been taken
away by the rebels.
In Raipur, DIG (Naxalite intelligence) Vivekanand said, "As per the
handwritten demands, the Maoists have asked the Government to
initiate peace talks, stop Operation Green Hunt and alleged
atrocities on people and release unnamed people." The State Police
was trying to verify the details, he added.
Sources said assistant sub-inspector Sukhram Bhagat and three
constables were in Maoist captivity. The "villagers" whose release
has been demanded were Maoist cadre and were arrested on "solid
charges", they added. A couple of days after the seven cops went
missing, bodies of three policemen were recovered along with leaflets
which read that they had been killed for carrying out atrocities on
villagers. The bodies were of head constable Narendra Kausal and
constable B Tirki of the State police and SPO Irpa Krishna.
According to DGP Vishwaranjan, "The letter was found by a local
journalist in the jungle area between Cherapalli and Bhopalpattanam."
Meanwhile, a BSF helicopter was pressed into service in the operation
against the rebels in Saranda and senior CRPF officials, led by
Inspector General (Operation) DB Sharma, were supervising the
operation. The bodies of two policemen killed in Saturday's encounter
were being brought to Chaibasa.
Kolhan-range DIG Naveen Kumar Singh said the fresh attack by Naxals
took place when the police and paramilitary forces had gone to
recover the body of a district police jawan, who was killed in
Saturday's encounter at Tirulposhi. The DIG revealed that during the
search operation, the police recovered two live landmines and
destroyed more than one camp set up by the rebels. But the DIG, who
was leading the operation, claimed that while penetrating into
Tirulposhi, the forces had to face stiff resistance.
"As per our reports, the rebels triggered several landmines between
Tirulposhi and Digha since Sunday morning. Their move was to irritate
us from flushing out the rebels from Tirulposhi," said Singh.
The police had conducted a special operation at Saranda's Monoharpur
area on Saturday morning. In the operation, a huge number of forces,
belonging to CRPF's Battalion VII and Battalion No 196 participated.
The Battalion VII was deployed at Patamda and Ghatshila in East
Singhbhum district, while Battalion 196 was posted at Manoharpur.
The Kolhan DIG said that the police and para-military forces will
continue the operation and would heave a sigh of relief only after
dislodging the rebels from their area. Maoists have been holding
training camps and organising meetings-- including veterans coming
from far-flung areas -- in this zone.